A question & answer session with DR. Somasundaram Sathappan, Consultant Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon
No reviews received yet.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long have you been in aesthetic practice?
I have more than 25 years of experience in plastic & reconstructive surgery. To be more specific, I’ve been in private aesthetic practice since 2001. Before private practice, I were a Consultant Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon at the Malaysian National University Hospital (HUKM).
2. What is your medical background?
• Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (University of Malaya, 1989)
• Awarded with FRCS diploma by the Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh, Scotland, 1994)
• Master in Surgery (National University of Malaysia, 1996)
• Plastic Surgery training at Welsh Centre of Burns, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
3. What are your medical qualifications?
•Member of Malaysian Association of Plastic, Aesthetic and Craniomaxillofacial Surgeons (MAPACS)
•Member of International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS)
•Member of American Society of Plastic Surgeon (ASPS)
6. How do you price your treatments/procedures?
Prices commensurate with the quality of treatment provided. Minor surgeries are done cost effectively & safely in my clinic, while, major surgeries are done in SJMC (one of the leading medical centre in Malaysia).
7. How are patients evaluated before treatments/procedures?
I always evaluate patients’ needs rather than their wants. After assessing current medical conditions, I investigate the personal needs to determine whether their desires can be achieved with minimal downtime and zero side effects. I only discuss fees last, as I don’t compromise treatments’ quality and safety for cheaper
8. What are the most common concerns that patients/clients have?
Most patients are concerned with costs, side effects, complications, and periods of downtime. I overcome all these concerns by having a consultation session with the patient and explain in detail about the treatments/procedures. Based on this information, patients can have time to think and decide what they want to
9. What’s your advice to new patients interested in aesthetic
Patients should have reasonable expectations and do some research on their desired treatments/procedures before consultations. Have a list of questions to ask the doctor after doctor has explained the treatment/procedure. Do not undergo procedures immediately. Instead, go home, think about it and then decide.
10. How do you uphold quality, consistency and safety?
I regularly attend professional workshops & meetings to keep my patients updated with latest trends in aesthetic & plastic surgery. I ensure that the patients’ data are well protected & strictly prohibit disclosure of personal data without their consent. Through this, I’m able to maintain a good doctor-patient relationship.
5. What supplementary services/technologies do you offer in your practice?
I do offer services which other aesthetic clinics may not have. It’s Regenerative Cell Therapy. This treatment comprises extracts from stem cell cultures that evoke regenerative rejuvenation of face, breasts, hands and other body parts. We also offer fat transfer to the face, which provide the same regenerative
4. What are the treatments/procedures do you specialise in?